Saturday, May 31, 2008

SocNoc - Day 1

SocNoc - Southern Cross Novel Challenge - is off and running, minutes away from being 12 hours old. And I'm off and running as well. I have been up since before dawn - woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so what the heck - I got an earlier start than planned.

Logged wordcount - 4791, 9.6% of target

And the manuscript? I finally decided to return to a different idea yet again. This time it is science fiction. I have had this idea kicking around for a long time, and made some abortive starts on it although I have scrapped that earlier writing and just returned to the characters and general plot line I had previously put together.

Do I expect to get a novel out of this? Not immediately. However it is a damned good start towards getting a useable manuscript that may be turned into one in the long run.

I had best put that away for now and get back to what I should be working on - a short story and a script, both uni assignments due to be handed in next Friday.

Why science fiction, especially given the difficulties in having sci fi novels published in Australia at least? Simply because I love it and want to write it. And getting it published is not impossible. Difficult, yes, but not impossible.

Now it is time to put that away and get back to what I should be focusing on today - a short story and a script, both uni assignments due to be handed in next Friday.

No comments: